Claritas Privacy NoticeLast Updated: May 15, 2023 Claritas, LLC ("Company", "we" or "us") is a data-driven marketing company that helps marketers find the best prospects, improve marketing execution and deliver superior ROI. In creating its products and solutions, Claritas is committed to the responsible use of personal information and respecting consumer privacy. Claritas works with over 1,200 clients across every major industry, some of which have been partners for over 20 years. This Claritas Privacy Notice ("Privacy Notice") describes how we collect, use and share personal information in connection with (1) our data marketing products and services (collectively, the "Data Services"); and (2) our website located at www.claritas.com and other digital properties we own and operation that link to this Privacy Notice (collectively, the "Website"), our social media pages, our email, phone, and other communications, and our business operations.
- Opt-out of Data Services: Choices and information on how you can easily opt-out of your information being used in our marketing products.
- Website and Business Operations Privacy Information.
- Your Choices: Information about how to exercise your rights and the choices you have with respect to your personal information.
Opt-Out of Claritas Marketing Database
Consumer Privacy Information
Collection of Personal Information in Connection with Data Services
Our marketing databases contain consumer information including information related to personal identifiers (offline and online), purchases, demographics and interests and self-reported information about consumers and their households. The table below provides more detail regarding the categories of personal information we collect in connection with the Data Services, and have collected in the 12 months before the “Last Updated” date of this Privacy Notice:
Categories of Personal Information Processed
Identifiers: Name, address, email address, Cookie IDs and Mobile IDs.
Commercial or transactions information: Records of personal property, products or services purchased and purchasing histories.
Demographic and statistical information: Age, marital status, gender, veteran status.
Inferences about buying preferences or characteristics: Data attributes drawn or created from the information identified in this section reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics, behavior, attitudes and abilities.
Internet or electronic network activity information: IP address, Cookie ID, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website or advertisement.
Geolocation data: Precise Geolocation data*
Protected identifiers: Telephone number
Sensitive data: Racial/ethnic data, health data
Sources of Personal Information Processed
We collect the categories of personal information described above from various sources such as business to business companies; consumer survey companies; surveys from consumers/self-reported data; data compiling companies; public or government entities; indirectly from individuals by use of online websites including claritas.com website and from other information providers (e.g., website owners) with permission to share the data.
Our data is sourced ethically, and information provider companies commit to providing proper notice about information collection and use and to abiding by all applicable laws, regulations and industry guidelines. Sensitive data, such as racial/ethnic data is collected only from suppliers that comply with state laws regarding the collection and use of such data or self-reported by individuals through opt-in surveys.
Except for opt-in consumer surveys that are used to build our marketing models, Claritas does not collect data directly from consumers for use in our data products.
*With respect to geolocation data, Claritas does NOT track movement of consumers from one location to the next, nor do we compile that information. Very occasionally Claritas conducts custom geo-fencing projects for clients using opt-in geolocation information.
Use of Personal Information in Connection with the Data Services
We may collect and use consumer personal information for the following purposes:
- To Provide the Data Services. We use consumer personal information to provide the Data Services to our clients including providing marketing, advertising and analytics services.
- We help companies serve personalized advertising across the Internet, including web browsers and mobile applications, in a variety of ways such as banner and video ads. Some of the online ads you are served may be based on the content of the webpage you’re visiting; others may be based on registration or other information you provide to us and our partners; and other ads may be customized based on predictions about your interests generated from your visits to other websites. This practice of customizing and providing online ads is often called interest-based advertising, or IBA
- Claritas collects personal data from the sources identified above and infers personal data to create consumer databases. Claritas’ consumer databases help companies get a full view of their customers and prospective customers to help them predict future buying behaviors and to help them build brand loyalty. Clarita’s consumer databases enable marketers to connect with new and existing consumers in both digital and offline channels, such as direct mail and online advertisements.
- Additionally, Clartias’ consumer database can be used by companies for analytics purposes to provide insights on trends in the marketplace or business intelligence related to the company’s industry.
- For Research and Development. We use your personal information for research and development purposes, including to study and improve the Data Services and our business, understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our clients, and develop new features, functionality, products, and services. As part of these activities, we may create aggregated, de-identified, or other anonymized data from personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this anonymous data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes.
- For Compliance and Protection. We may use your personal information to: (i) comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities; (ii) maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Data Services, business, databases, and other technology assets; (iii) protect our, your, or others’ rights, privacy, safety, or property (including by making and defending legal claims); (iv) audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies; (v) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Data Services; and (vi) prevent, identify, investigate, and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical, or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
Disclosures of Personal Information in Connection with the Data Services
Sharing, Sales, and Disclosures for Targeted Advertising Purposes
We share information with our Data Services Clients and other third parties for purposes of direct marketing (offline and online), advertising, and analytics services. Under some privacy laws, this type of sharing may be called “sharing,” “selling,” or disclosing for purposes of “targeted advertising.”
The categories of our Data Services Clients include:
Consumer Packaged Goods Companies, Communication Services Companies, Parenting Product Companies, Consumer Services Companies, Health and Wellness Product and Service Companies, Marketing Data Companies, Data Analytics Providers, Operating Systems and Platforms, Social Networks, Consumer Data Resellers, Educational Institutions and Companies, Electronic Companies, Energy and Utility Companies, Financial Services Companies, Food and Beverage Companies, Lifestyle and Interests Product Companies, Manufacturing Companies, Not for Profit Organizations, Government Agencies Technology and Computer Software Companies, Telecommunications Companies, Travel, Leisure & Entertainment Companies
We share, and in the 12 months before the “Last Updated” date of this Privacy Notice have shared in this manner the following categories of personal information stated above with our Data Services Clients and with Advertising and Analytics Companies (including Advertising Networks, Advertising and Marketing Companies, Data Analytics Providers, Social Networks, Marketing Data Companies, and Consumer Data Resellers).
We do not share or sell protected identifiers such as your telephone number.
Other Disclosures of Personal Information
In addition, we may disclose each of the categories of personal information described above with the following categories of third parties:
- Service Providers. We may disclose your personal data to our service providers that assist us with our business purposes. Categories of service providers include cloud security and storage providers, advertising networks and advertising /marketing companies. The business purposes for processing this information include: maintaining or servicing accounts, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing analytic services, providing storage and helping to ensure security and integrity.
The agents performing these functions on our behalf have access to the personal information as needed to perform their functions for us. We do not permit them to use the data for other purposes.
- Related Companies. Where applicable, we may share personal information with our affiliates, subsidiaries, and other related companies.
- Business Transaction Participants. If we sell all or part of our business or make a sale or transfer of assets or are otherwise involved in a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization, sale or other disposition of all or any portion of the business or assets of, or equity interests in, Claritas or our affiliates (including, in connection with a bankruptcy or similar proceedings), we may transfer your personal information to a third party as part of that transaction (or potential transaction), including at the negotiation stage.
- Authorities and Others. We may share your personal information with law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties, as we believe, in good faith, to be necessary or appropriate to comply with a law, to exercise a right or privilege, or for the other purposes described in the “Compliance and Protection” section above.
- Professional Advisors. We may share personal information with our professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, consultants, auditors, and insurers, such as when disclosing personal information is necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
Each of the categories of personal information described in the section titled Collection of Personal Information in Connection with the Data Services may have been disclosed to these third parties, as well as to the Data Services Clients and Advertising and Analytics Companies, for business purposes in the 12 months preceding the “Last Updated” date of this Privacy Notice.
Website and Business Operations Privacy Information
Collection of Personal Information in Connection with Our Website and Business Operations
Claritas also collects personal information in connection with our Website, social media pages, customer communications, and other business operations. The table below provides more detail regarding the categories personal information we collect in connection with the Website and our business operations and have collected in the 12 months before the “Last Updated” date of this Privacy Notice:
Categories of Personal Information Processed
Identifiers: Name, email address, phone number, business mailing address, and social media handle.
Commercial or transactions information: Transaction history, such as records of products and services that you have purchased from us, payment amounts, payment methods, and other information about your orders.
Preferences, such as your preferences for receiving marketing and other communications from us.
Communications, such as the questions, inquiries, and requests that you send to us.
Survey responses, such as the responses that you provide to our surveys and questionnaires
Internet or network activity information: Browsing History
Online Activity Data (such as time on site, # pages visited, referring URL)
Device Data (such as IP address, computer or mobile device operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model, browser type, screen resolution, unique online identifiers, and general location information such as city, state, or geographic area)
Audio, Electronic, Visual, or Similar Information: Customer service call recordings, which may be recorded to help us facilitate your inquiries or for quality and training purposes.
Who do we collect Personal Data from?
We may collect the personal information categories described above directly from you when you provide it to us, such as when you contact us with questions regarding our business, the Website, or our Data Services, sign up to receive emails from us, or respond to one of our opt-in surveys.
We may also collect personal information from third parties, such as our clients, public sources (such as social media platforms), information service bureaus, data brokers, industry conference or event organizers or sponsors and our business partners (such as marketing partners).
Use of Personal Information in Connection with our Website and Business Operations
We may collect and use personal information about you in connection with the Website and our business operations for the following purposes and as otherwise described in this Privacy Notice or at the time of collection:
Service Delivery and Business Operations. We use personal information to deliver the Website and our services and to operate our business, such as:
- To provide you with the content, information, products, and services you have requested
- To personalize your experience on our Website and our communications with you
- To process your transactions and monitor your orders
- To communicate with you about the Website and our business (including by sending announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages)
- To respond to your inquiries and requests for customer support
Marketing and Advertising. We and our service providers may collect and use personal information to provide you with Claritas-related or other direct marketing communications. You may opt-out of direct marketing as described in the “Your Choices” section below.
Research and Development. We use personal information to measure and understand the way you use our Website and for other research and development purposes, including to study and improve our products, services, and business, understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our clients, and develop new features, functionality, products, and services. As part of these activities, we may create aggregated, de-identified, or other anonymized data from personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this anonymous data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes.
Compliance and Protection. We may use your personal information to: (i) comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities; (ii) maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our products, services, business, databases, and other technology assets; (iii) protect our, your, or others’ rights, privacy, safety, or property (including by making and defending legal claims); (iv) audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies; (v) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Website and our other products and services; and (vi) prevent, identify, investigate, and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical, or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
In addition, in some cases we may specifically ask you for your consent to collect, use, or share your personal information.
Disclosure of Personal Information in Connection with Our Website and Business Operations
We may share personal information collected about you with certain third parties, including the parties listed below and as otherwise described in this Privacy Notice or at the time of collection:
Service Providers. Companies and individuals that perform services on our behalf or help us operate the Website or our business. Among other things, service providers may help us perform Website hosting, maintenance services, database management, web analytics, billing, payment processing, fraud protection, customer service, or marketing.
Third-party marketing partners. For commercial advertising purposes, including the provision of online Interest-Based Advertising services.
Related Companies. Our affiliates, subsidiaries, and other related companies.
Business Transaction Participants. If we sell all or part of our business or make a sale or transfer of assets or are otherwise involved in a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization, sale or other disposition of all or any portion of the business or assets of, or equity interests in, Claritas or our affiliates (including, in connection with a bankruptcy or similar proceedings), we may transfer your personal information to a third party as part of that transaction (or potential transaction), including at the negotiation stage.
Authorities and Others. We may share your personal information with law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties, as we believe, in good faith, to be necessary or appropriate to comply with a law, to exercise a right or privilege, or for the other purposes described in the “Compliance and Protection” section above.
Professional Advisors. We may share personal information with our professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, consultants, auditors, and insurers, such as when disclosing personal information is necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
Each of the categories of personal information described in the section titled Collection of Personal Information in Connection with our Website and Business Operations may have been disclosed to these third parties for business purposes in the 12 months preceding the “Last Updated” date of this Privacy Notice.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
Cookies, which are text files that websites store on a visitor’s device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser for the purpose of helping you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, enabling functionality, helping us understand user activity and patters, and facilitating online analytics and advertising services.
Web beacons, also known as pixel tags or clear GIFs, which are typically used to demonstrate that a webpage was accessed or opened, or that certain content was viewed or clicked, typically to compile statistics about usage of websites and the success of marketing campaigns.
As part of our Data Services, our clients may place tracking technologies operated by Claritas or our service providers on their advertisements or websites to automatically collect information about consumers visiting their sites and provide that information to us. This information includes Browser or Device Data, such as Cookie Identifiers, IP address, computer or mobile device operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model, browser type, screen resolution, unique online identifiers, and general location information such as city, state, or geographic area. You may opt-out of Claritas sharing or selling your digital information here
On the Claritas Website, we may use third-party analytics and advertising services to monitor and analyze the use of our Website and assist us with relevant ads on other websites. For example, we use Google Analytics to help us analyze how the Website is being accessed and used. You can learn more about Google Analytics cookies by clicking here and opt-out of Google Analytics by downloading and installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, available here. In addition, Claritas uses LinkedIn for third party advertising, and you can learn more or opt-out here. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your browser and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
We will retain each of the categories of personal information listed above for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose of collection, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements, to establish and defend legal claims, for fraud prevention purposes, or as long as required to meet our legal obligations. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your personal information from the risks presented by unauthorized access or acquisition, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Other Sites and Services
The Website may contain links to other websites and online services operated by third parties. These links are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. In addition, our content may be included on web pages or online services that are not associated with us. We do not control third party websites or online services, and we are not responsible for their actions. Other websites and services follow different rules regarding the collection, use and sharing of your personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the other websites and online services you use.
International Transfers of Personal Information
We are based in the United States of America, and we have service providers in the United States and potentially other countries. Your personal information may be collected, used, stored, and transferred in these countries or other locations outside of your home country. Privacy laws in the locations where we handle your personal information may not be as protective as the privacy laws in your home country. By providing your personal information, where applicable law permits, you hereby specifically and expressly consent to such transfer and processing and the collection, use, and disclosure set forth herein or in any applicable terms of service.
The Website and the Data Services are not intended for use by anyone under the age of the 16, and we do not knowingly collect personal information about children under 16 years of age.
Access/Know, Correct, or Delete Personal Information
You may submit a request to access your information by using the form here, or, you may call 1-888-994-9312.
If, after receiving an access report, you feel that information about you is incorrect, you may submit a request to correct this information by email@example.com or calling 1-888-981-0040 and listen for the prompt for privacy requests.
Please note that before we can process your requests, we may need to verify that you are who you say you are and to confirm that your request is authentic. We will review the 1 information provided and may request additional information to ensure we are interacting with the correct individual. This is a security measure to, for example, help ensure we do not disclose information to a person who is not entitled to receive it. The identity verification process may vary depending on how you submit your request.
Alternatively, you may make a request to delete your information.
You may submit a request to delete your information from our database here or, you may call 1-800.866.6511.
Opt-Out of the Data Services
At Claritas, we want to make it easy for you to opt-out of our use of your consumer information in our marketing products and solutions. Please follow the links below to access our opt-out portals.
Opt-Out from Sale or Sharing of Information (offline marketing databases)
If you wish to have your information removed from Claritas offline marketing databases, please make your request here: Opt-Out of Sale or Sharing of Information.
Opt-out from Sale of Digital Information
You may also make those requests by mail. we will need you to include your full name, complete address, including unit or suite number, gender and age, as well as a telephone number in case we need to contact you. In order to verify your identity and address, we will require a copy of a government issued ID (such as a Driver’s license or passport) as well as a copy of a utility bill in your name. Please do not send original documents. Copies of your documents will be shredded after use.
- Mail your request and information to:
8044 Montgomery Road, Suite 455
Cincinnati, OH 45236 USA
Please be aware that we do not accept or process requests through other means (e.g., via fax, social media, email addresses).
When you make a request, we may ask you to provide verifying information, such as your name, email, or phone number and may use a third-party verification provider. We will review the information provided and may request additional information via email or other means to ensure we are interacting with the correct individual. Please also be aware that there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow us to fulfill your request.
Authorized Third-Party Agents
The California CCPA allows consumers to use authorized agents to submit requests to Claritas on their behalf. In addition, Claritas has expanded these rights to allow consumers to use authorized agents regardless of their State of residence. If you are an authorized agent making a request to access/know, correct, delete, or opt-out on behalf of an individual, we require additional documentation, as permitted by Regulation. Claritas requires that the authorized agent provide written authorization from the consumer to act on the consumer’s behalf. In the case of an authorized agent’s request for access to personal information, the resulting report will be delivered to the consumer directly. Prior to any release of the report to the consumer, Claritas will require the consumer to complete an identity verification process to minimize the risk of unauthorized access to personal information and potential resulting harm.
For these types of requests, we require authorized agents to complete and submit an Authorized Agent Acknowledgment Form (“Form”) or equivalent, which may be downloaded here. This Form requests additional information that we need to process these requests, such as a copy of the consumer’s signed permission demonstrating that you have been authorized by the consumer to act on the consumer’s behalf.
After completing, please attach and resubmit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are not able to process requests from authorized agents if you do not provide us with sufficient detail to allow us to understand and respond to it.
Opt-Out of Claritas Marketing Emails
If you are subscribed to receive promotional emails from Claritas, you may opt out of those marketing-related emails by following the opt-out or unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email. You may continue to receive service-related and other non-marketing emails.
For information on cookies and similar technologies, please see section above Cookies and Similar Technologies.
Do Not Track
Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to online services you visit. Note, however, there is no industry consensus as to what site and app operators should do with regard to these signals. Accordingly, unless and until the law is interpreted to require us to do so, we do not monitor or take action with respect to “Do Not Track” signals. For more information on “Do Not Track,” visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Consumer Rights Request Processing
For Calendar Year 2022 Claritas processed the following Consumer Rights requests:
- Request to Access Information: quantity processed 3; quantity denied 0; average time to process 15 days
- Request to Delete Information: quantity processed 10; quantity denied 0; average time to process 14 days
- Request to Opt Out of Sale: quantity processed 63; quantity denied 0; average time to process 14 days
Additional Information For California Residents
Your California Privacy Rights
As a California resident, you have the rights listed below. However, these rights are not absolute, and in certain cases we may not be able to respond to your request, such as when a legal exemption applies or if we are not able to verify your identity. Please use the
- Know/Access. You can request the following information about how we have collected and used your personal information:
- The categories of personal information that we have collected.
- The categories of sources from which we collected personal information.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling, or sharing personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we disclose personal information.
- A copy of the personal information that we have collected about you.
- Delete. You can ask us to delete the personal information that we have collected from you.
- Correct. California consumers have a right to request correction or deletion of personal information about them that Claritas has collected or maintained. As permitted by regulation, Claritas will treat correction requests as a request to delete.
- Opt-out of sales/sharing. California privacy laws define a “sale” as disclosing a California resident’s personal information to a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration. Where such disclosure is for cross-context behavioral advertising, whether or not for monetary or other valuable consideration, it qualifies as “sharing” under California privacy law. If we “sell” or “share” your personal information under California privacy laws, you can opt-out.
- Nondiscrimination. You are entitled to exercise the rights described above without receiving discriminatory treatment.
You may request to exercise your California rights to know/access, correct, opt-out or delete by following the instructions in the general “Your Choices” section above.
If you direct us not to sell or share your personal information, we will consider it a request pursuant to California’s “Shine the Light” law to stop sharing your personal information covered by that law with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We do not knowingly sell or share the personal information of California residents under 16 years of age.
To the extent we collect sensitive personal information (as that term is defined under California law), we do not collect or use it for the purpose of inferring characteristics about California residents or for other purposes other than business purposes authorized under California law.
Please note that Claritas will treat a request to limit our use of sensitive personal information as a request to delete.
Additional Information for Nevada Residents
Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A allows Nevada residents to opt-out of the “sale” of certain types of personal information. Subject to several exceptions, Nevada law defines “sale” to mean the exchange of certain types of personal information for monetary consideration to another person. If you are a Nevada resident who wishes to exercise your “sale” opt-out rights, you may submit a request to us here or you may call 1-888-994-9312.
Additional Information for Virginia Residents
Under Virginia privacy laws, you may request the rights listed below. Please note, these rights are not absolute, and, in some cases, we may not be able to respond to your request, such as when a legal exemption applies or if we are not able to verify your identity.
- Access/Port. You can request that we confirm whether we process your personal information and to access that personal information. You may also request to obtain a copy of personal information that you have previously provided to us in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily usable format.
- Virginia consumers have a right to request correction or deletion of personal information about them that Claritas has collected or maintained. As permitted by regulation, Claritas will treat correction requests as a request to delete.
- You can ask us to delete personal information provided by or obtained about you.
- Opt-out of sales and targeted advertising. If we sell your personal information for monetary consideration or engage in targeted advertising according to Virginia law, you can opt-out.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. The VCDPA protects Virginia consumers who exercise their rights from discrimination. Claritas will not discriminate against consumers who request access to personal information about them, request deletion, or request that Claritas opt them out of future sales.
You may request to exercise your rights to access/port, correct, opt-out or delete as described above in the general “Your Choices” section of the Privacy Notice.
If we decline to take action on your request, you may appeal such refusal by sending us an email to privacyinfo@Claritas.com within a reasonable time period after we send you our decision.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Claritas reserves the right to revise, in whole or in part, any portion of this Privacy Notice, without notice, at any time. Please review this Privacy Notice periodically so that you keep up to date on our most current policies and practices. We will note the date of the latest version at the top of this Privacy Notice.
For questions or concerns about our Privacy Notice or practices, please email us at privacyinfo@Claritas.com.